Your Future in Fitness Starts Here
Complaints & Appeals Policy
The Complaints and Appeals Policy was formulated in accordance with the college’s values and mission statement. The college is committed to maintaining a fair environment that supports and encourages learners to voice their concerns.
The college understands that on occasion, there may be instances of dissatisfaction, and acknowledges that the cause(s) must be addressed and rectified promptly. In such instances, the college invites feedback from the dissatisfied party so that a resolution can be found. If appropriate, the college will consolidate the feedback into a formal review with the intention of improving the college’s policies and procedures. Staff are also invited to contribute ideas and feedback to assist in shaping and reviewing this policy, and should do so by communicating with their supervisor. The college will address any and all complaints and appeals of assessment decisions in a fair, constructive, and timely manner.
The complaints and appeals policy provides guidelines to all learners of the college regarding instances of dissatisfaction within our organisation. The complaints and appeals policy will be observed and adhered to in instances of dissatisfaction. It has been developed to cover decisions made for or on behalf of the RTO and complaints regarding:
- The RTO
- RTO Staff
- Third Parties
A complaint or appeal may refer to, but is not limited to:
- Course advice and enrolment
- Suspension and/or cancellation of enrolment
- Program delivery
- Marketing and promotional activity
- Personal safety
- Customer service and administration
- Issue regarding results, certificates, and statements of attainment
- Learning resources
- Fees and charges
- Equity and access, discrimination, harassment, and bullying
- Assessment process and decision
- Enrolment application decision
- Learner progress and academic progress decisions
This complaints and appeals policy ensures the college adopts the principles of natural justice and procedural fairness in its operations by:
- Informing those involved of the allegations
- Providing those involved an opportunity to present their side of the matter
- Operating in a fair and unbiased way
This policy is publicly available on our website www.acfpt.com.au
Any employee found not adhering to this policy may face disciplinary action. The complaints and appeals policy promotes fairness and equality, and reflects the college’s commitment to promoting a positive and fair learning and working environment. Once a formal written complaint is received, the details are recorded on the Complaints and Appeals Register which is reviewed and maintained by the principal. Information recorded on the Complaints and Appeals Register includes:
- A specific complaint number
- Submission date of the complaint
- Name of the complainant or appellant
- Description of the complaint
- Determined resolution (outcome)
- Date of outcome
If a learner has a complaint or is requesting an appeal, they are encouraged to speak immediately with a college representative to resolve the issue. If the learner is not satisfied that the issue has been resolved, they will be required to complete and submit to the college a written complaint or request for appeal by completing the complaints and appeals form, available upon request by emailing email@example.com. Complaints and requests for appeal are to include the following information:
- Submission date of complaint or request for appeal
- Name of complainant or appellant
- Nature of complaint or request for appeal
- Date of the event which lead to the complaint or appeal
- Attachments (if applicable)
All complaints and appeals will be acknowledged in writing within 1 working day.
Formal complaints and appeals will follow the below process:
- Complaints or request for appeals are to be made in writing within 7 calendar days of the incident using the Complaints and Appeals Form and provided to the Principal (Complaints and Appeals Forms can be requested at any time).
- A submitted Complaint or Appeal Lodgement Form will constitute a formal complaint or appeal from the learner. Further details of the complaint or appeal can be provided by the learner verbally.
- All complaints and appeals will be acknowledged in writing within 1 working day.
- The Principal of the college may delegate responsibility for the resolution of the complaint or appeal.
- In the case of a complaint or appeal, the Principal of the College will initiate a transparent, participative investigation to identify the issues.
- Complaints or appeals, where possible, are to be resolved within 21 calendar days of the initial application.
- Where more than 60 calendar days have been required to process a complaint or appeal:
- The complainant or appellant is advised in writing of the reasons for the delay
- The complainant or appellant is regularly updated in writing
- In all cases, the final outcome will be assessed by the Principal.
- The learner will be advised in writing of the outcome of their complaint or appeal, within seven (7) days of resolution.
- If the outcome is not to the satisfaction of the learner:
- They may seek an appointment with the Principal of the college.
- The college will provide a review of complaints and appeals by an independent party
- They may appeal to an outside authority
ACFPT securely maintains records of all complaints and appeals and their outcomes. ACFPT also seeks to identify potential causes of complaints and appeals and takes appropriate corrective action to eliminate or mitigate the likelihood of reoccurrence. ACFPT may seek assistance from internal/external sources to assist in this process.
*This Complaints process does not prevent the learner from seeking compensation in other forums outside the ACFPT process. For example, the complainant may wish to take the matter further by selecting the appropriate body, such as the Office of Fair Trading (02-4925000), the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (1-300-366700), the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (1-300-656419) or the Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW (02-49264300).